Blankney Farm Update – 22 November 2019

The sugar beet harvest continues and is going well – we are currently about 35% through. Yields are excellent at 83.4 tonnes per hectare, however, I am afraid that is the end of the good news.

Since we started to drill wheat, we’ve had 300mm of rain – that’s 3.3 million tonnes of water which has fallen on the fields that should now be growing wheat. 19 and a half million tonnes have fallen accross the whole Estate. Despite this, we have managed to drill 50% of our crops.

We managed to harvest 92% of our maize. The remaining 8% is unlikely to be harvested condsidering the current conditions.

The Estate have also done some excellent conservation work; having harvested some mature woodland, we have now created some new wet woodland habitat.